The My Big Campus team regularly hosts training events for educators. The training is designed to give people the skills and knowledge they need to go back and train fellow teachers and students on how to use My Big Campus in the classroom.
Teachers want to be sure that My Big Campus is safe for them and their students to use. At the end of a recent training session in Indianapolis, Indiana, teachers discussed the safety features of My Big Campus. Here are a few of the highlights of that discussion:
- MBC provides us with a springboard to teach students about proper social networking so that when they are using their Facebook and other accounts, they have some sort of guidance! Unfortunately, many of my third grade students have FB accounts that are obviously not monitored closely by their parents. This just gives me a concrete way to show them that networking can be fun without all of the "junk" and drama!
- Words of concern are screened, flagged and checked. Students who abuse this system can be restricted, and therefore, held accountable.
- I love that I have a safe place to communicate with my students outside of the classroom.
- When I train, I always reference an onion. Not the stinky part, I mean the layers. There is a building wall, a district wall, and the the super-duper Lightspeed wall.
- We have a few people who are really advocating for us to open up everything to our students - Facebook, YouTube, etc. I think this would be a huge mistake and doesn't consider the best interests of our students. MBC allows them to receive the educational benefit of those tools without exposure to the bad. How can you argue against that?!
- Mistakes can turn into lessons learned...
- What we like about MBC is the safe YouTube access. We love how MBC strips away all the superfluous content and inappropriate comments.
- I like the fact that MBC seems to be very proactive in making sure that this is a safe environment for our students. With so many worries about not only inappropriate web content, but cyber bullying as well, it's nice to know the protection is there.
I was thrilled to read their comments, because I knew these teachers truly understood why I created My Big Campus. Do you have a story about online safety to share? Let me know in the comments.